Bookmark and Share

Friday, January 11, 2008

Curse America

Walking up to the grocery store the other evening I encountered a beggar soliciting for money. Not a big deal in and of itself, as I write about this all the time. But this one was rather feisty demanding exactly $1.50. I offered him the routine, "No, no, don't have any."

But then, a few blocks further up the street as I was waiting outside he passed by me again and didn't recognize me or wasn't capable of recognizing me, probably the later. Instead of saying, "You already asked me," like I should have - I just offered the staunch response and repeated, "No, no, I don't have any" this time specifically adding, "I don't have any change." To which he affronted in typical impertinence, "Cash would do just fine," attempting a southern accent I suppose he thought would win me over.

After lingering for a few moments in the wake of my silent glare, he moved along to ask three more people for the $1.50. After being denied by all three, he broke into a distempered frenzy, shouting at the top of his lungs, "F*** America!!" repeatedly while running around uncontrollably, and darting in and out of traffic.

As a side note, I found $11 on the lying on the street today. I think it was a blessing because I really need gas for my car. I waited for 10 minutes hoping that the person who dropped it would come looking for it, but I had things to do and couldn't wait all day and felt secure that I had done my part.

No comments: